Monday, December 13, 2010

Unprepared

*To all my followers who have been patient during my long delay in posts, thank you. For the two that ripped me on Facebook about it, please realize that this blog is something fun I do when I have free time. I do not have a set schedule or maximum time between blogs. If I do this, it becomes more like work and less of a hobby for me. I have been very busy over the past three weeks traveling across the province for work, studying for exams and with other social commitments and as a result have not always had access to a computer. Blogging is not my priority, nor will it be my priority. I will blog when I have the time and have something I want to talk about. It will be on my own schedule, so while you are free to complain or boycott the blog I will not be changing my habits for anyone for fear that it will become a duty.
===============================================================

The news story about the Bay Bulls man who had barricaded himself in his home with a weapon has been beaten to death, but that's what makes it so bad for the RCMP. I generally respect and feel safe with our police force, but after the Bay Bulls incident, I can honestly say I have lost some faith in it.

When something strange like this incident or something rare like a murder occurs, most of us assume our police force probably isn't fully equipped to deal with it. And that's not a knock on the training they receive or how hard they work, it's just that practice makes perfect. In any job, you can receive copious amounts of training but until you actually get to put that to use in a real-life scenario than it is hard to be good at it. So while the lunatic escaping the house undetected is inexcusable it is not overly surprising considering how little this type of thing happens (which is a good thing).

However what really makes the RCMP look bad is that they were on the news EVERY day stating that they are ready for ANY situation, and that they have everything under control. They claim they are fully prepared for this situation and whatever occurs they have it under control but were committing for a peaceful resolution. It's great that they wanted peace (although its better TV if they didn't), but they really made themselves look like a bunch of morons when the crazy guy, who had access to weapons and had shown a willingness to use them manages to sneak away from them and get 23 km before a common citizen notices him! Someone could have easily been hurt or even killed by this man, and all because the RCMP clearly did not have everything covered. I know it was 8 days and people were probably exhausted, but when it comes to the public safety, you do not have any room for error, but unfortunately the local police force was exposed as having a lot of errors. You would think they would know every exit point in the house and have 1-2 people watching these points, just in case the guy came out. He could have snuck out and started shooting at the police and they wouldn't have even known what was happening until they started getting hit with bullets. It's totally unacceptable and my confidence level in these guys went down.

We are still awaiting official word on how it happened, and I am begging of the RCMP to not come up with excuses and to just admit openly that they were not fully prepared and that they screwed up BIG TIME. Although that probably won't happen.

So hopefully lesson learned, however if I ever find myself in a hostage situation, I won't be thanking my lucky stars that the RCMP or RNC are on the case.


Download:
Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney

1 comment:

  1. Yes the RCMP need to say we fucked up their main goal for using 7 days or man power and resources was to keep the public safe which they failed at in those 2 hrs he could of went on a killing spree....so I agree RCMP should admit we fucked it up.....and awesome burn on those 2 jerks too I love a good anger filled rant directed at people...whoever they may be

    ReplyDelete