Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lame Excuse For A Holiday

I'm not really complaining that New Year's Day is considered a Statutory Holiday, because I will accept as many paid days off as possible, however it does seem like a lame excuse for a holiday. Most other holidays have some sort of religious or historic event that inspires them like Christmas or Remembrance Day, but this is just because we have to pin a new calendar on our walls.

I don't really understand the significance I guess. People make kind of a big deal out of it, but it's just really another day. Nothing drastically changes because it is now 2011 instead of 2010. There are no fresh starts just because it is a new year. If you did something terrible in 2010, people aren't just going to randomly forget about it because it is now 2011.

But while it is good to get that extra day off around the holiday season it also brings on the reality that there are no more Stat holidays until Good Friday, which I believe is in late April this year (unless you work in government and you get St. Patrick's Day off). That's a pretty long time to go without a holiday, therefore I'm assuming most people use at least one vacation day between January and April to get them through. I feel bad for people who do not get vacation. A 4% vacation pay just doesn't compare to being able to take time off.

Anyway, Happy New Year, I guess...

Download:
Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart - Stone Temple Pilots

No comments:

Post a Comment