Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Babe, Pig in the City

I uncharacteristically decided to take a trip to Toronto by myself to fulfill one of my life's goals, to see a live Bon Jovi concert, and I have no regrets as I was able to break out of my shell in a couple of areas.

The first was on the flight to Toronto. I actually initiated and prolonged a conversation with a total stranger from St. John's to Ottawa. Well she did most of the talking cause the chick could gab, which I guess was alright because there was less awkward silence to fill, but I actually used my Dale Carnegie training which is good!

The second breakthrough was kind of already in motion when I got there. I went to the Raptors game with a friend I hadn't see since probably high school, so it certainly had the potential to be awkward, and I always try to avoid potentially awkward situations, but I went through with it which proved to be a fantastic idea. It was like I hadn't seen her for 8 days rather than 8 years so I was really glad for breakthrough #2.

In addition to these personal breakthroughs, there was a lot of cool stuff going on:

1) Bon Jovi with Beth -> Great concert. They played for 2.5 hours including a 5 song encore. They didn't play "Always" or anything from the "These Days" album which was kind of disappointing, but I got to see "I'll Be There For You" and "Bed of Roses", and hey I got to see Bon Jovi live, so I'm not going to complain!

2) Raptors game with Steph -> They won! This rarely happens. Also I got to see upcoming superstar Blake Griffin play and see some cool dunks and a super freak mini Raptors robot. Also this means I've officially seen a live game from the 4 major North American Sporting Leagues, the MLB, NHL, NFL and NBA! (Another life goal accomplished).

3) Eaton Centre -> I didn't spend any money there surprisingly enough, but it was crazy to see how huge the place is. Take that Avalon Mall.

4) Hockey Hall of Fame -> Picture taken with the Stanley Cup (lookout for it to be a profile pic on Facebook soon), played the interactive shooter and goalie games and bought some souvenirs.

5) Flew on Porter Airlines -> Comfortable seats and great customer service but way too many stop overs for a guy who is nervous about flying. If I'm ever going from St. John's to Halifax I will definitely fly with them, but if going anywhere else I would have to choose an airline with a direct flight if possible.

6) Homeless People -> Saw some sleeping on the side of the road on top of the subway vents, also say one eating someone's leftovers at the food court in the Eaton Centre, which grossed me out.

7) Hooker -> Walking back to the hotel Monday night, in -15 C weather, we saw a hooker beating the streets with a short skirt and tank top on cracked out. Big knockers though.

8) Subway -> Travelled on the subway for a short distance, neat experience.

Summary: It's good to try new things.

Download:
As I Am - Goo Goo Dolls

No comments:

Post a Comment