Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscars

I was flicking back and forth to the Oscars last night when the basketball game was on commercial (of course I caught all the crappy awards like "best short film" and "best foreign language film" when I did), and I noticed that something just didn't seem to mesh well. This could be a totally misguided blog as I didn't watch the whole thing but the whole layout just didn't seem to go with the hosts.

Anne Hathaway and James Franco hosted and are both very funny people, or at least I think so. But the type of humour they were portraying just didn't seem to be received well and seemed out of place for an event that appears ridiculously formal. The layout, the outfits, the insanely boring speeches all reek of formality and I think some of the jokes they were laying on the crowd just didn't get appreciated. I very rarely heard laughter from the audience and from what I saw a lot of it was just awkward.

I don't think they did a bad job in any way, just that the venue didn't seem right, and I blame that on the "Academy". The whole event is painful to watch from the awards that nobody cares about, to the crappy musical performances (Randy Newman) and again the whole thank you speeches that drag on too long and have no character. It's way too serious of an event for my liking, which is why I'm more likely to watch the MTV movie awards than the Academy Awards, at least they attempt to have fun with it.

But maybe that's the way they want to keep it, more rigid and bureaucratic. In that case they should find different hosts next year. I hear Billy Crystal wants back in!

Download:
Pyro - Kings of Leon

No comments:

Post a Comment