Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Road to Shattered Confidence?

I guess at this point it's no secret that I have veered down the dark path of the online dating world, and I've been there for longer than I'd like to admit. I've done the e-harmony free weekends, the plenty of fish thing, hell I even paid for a one month subscription at e-harmony once, cause well you know those damn couples just seem so happy on those commercials! So before I make a decision on if it's the right path to continue on I figured I should do an assessment.

I'm a pretty shy dude. Talking to women I don't know has never been my strong suit. Hell talking to dudes I don't know isn't any less awkward for me, and I'm not hoping to start dating them, therefore this whole online thing works well in that department. It's a lot easier, but much creepier, to sit anonymously behind a keyboard and give an introduction. I can highlight my good points. How I'm educated, steady job, I have a dog (always a good selling point), and I can do it without stumbling on my words or running into an awkward silence. So there is a plus 1 for sticking with online dating.

Another plus for online dating is that the easiest way for me to meet chicks is through friends. It gives them time to settle into my weird and somewhat offensive thoughts, maybe it almost becomes charming eventually, however none of my friends seem to be willing to introduce me to their female friends...so you guys all suck. Maybe it's so they can continue to make fun of my online dating ways. So +2 for online dating.

Now for the negatives. The first one being:
-She could actually be a man! I have had some bad experiences with this stuff (recyclables), but fortunately never came in contact with a penis from it yet, but the fear is always there!

Other negatives include:
- It's easier to get rejected online. If the chick can't see you then it's easier for her to delete that message you just sent her without a reply, and nothing kills the confidence more than "Read Deleted". At least write me back to tell me why you don't like me. I'd choose rejection over being ignored any day of the week!
- The selection isn't always the greatest. I'm sure there are hot chicks out there who (are not crazy, are over their ex boyfriends, do not have ridiculously high standards, expect you to pay for everything cause they're hot or who are only on the site because of a dare from their friends, or just to see how pathetic the guys who message are) do online dating, however, I think it's a small number. Chances are if she's hot, she has one of the above issues...or has a wang.
- On e-harmony, you are more likely to get matched with more people when you are not paying than when you are. They are like, "oh here's all these great matches for you, but you can't talk to them unless you pay up". So you're thinking "oh man I better pay up, there could be the Rachel to my Ross on this site", and then you pony up the dough, and they reduce the number of matches you receive drastically as soon as your payment is processed. In other words they screw you!
- You don't know what the competition is. For instance I've been talking to a chick before messaging back and forth, then suddenly one day it just stops. What am I to assume? Well my assumption is she has found someone more interesting than me on the site and I'm yesterday's garbage. That might not be true, but it could be. Once again an issue of not being a bitch. "Hey Keith, I think you're interesting and all but I met someone else who I really connected with, it's been nice talking to you". That would be a great message instead of the no reply. But I get the feeling those girls will get whats coming to them when they start talking to a psycho dude and he begins to stalk them when they start ignoring him! Take that Bitch!

The final negative about this whole online dating stuff is it's killing my confidence. Mostly for the reasons I mentioned before with the whole ignoring thing, or the fact that nothing has ever really worked out with it for me, which kind of gives me the feeling that maybe I'M the problem, but basically, it's because I feel I'm dependent on it and I no longer have the confidence to talk to a woman for the FIRST time face to face. I had very little when I started, but now the idea makes me even more nervous. Chances are I should be out practicing this, but chances are I won't. One of the reasons I don't know where to go to meet these eleigible bachelorettes. (Someone get me my own reality show)

So what's my verdict? It is that online dating is a terrible idea for me. Will I quit? Sure, until the next time I get bored out here in Grand Falls-Windsor. Although I guess the simple solution would be to block the websites and get me some whiskey sours to get the confidence to talk to these women. But oh well only time will tell. So really I guess this blog solved nothing for me, and if anyone I met online reads this it means you're on my MSN so it probably doesn't apply to you so don't be offended.

Later dudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment