Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Storm Preparation

To Paul: Thanks for the support, but are you calling me fat by referring to me as muffin top?
================================================================
In wake of Hurricane Igor and all the damage it caused I wonder how prepared we are here in Newfoundland for events like this. I'm probably not the best to be discussing this as here in Grand Falls-Windsor we didn't really feel the effects of the storm outside of some high winds and a lot of rain, whereas some people (perhaps due to karma about their Creed bashing) have been without power overnight and probably still into today and have suffered extensive property damage.

Fortunately, only 1 person has lost their life during this storm and that was a freak accident in itself with a driveway just crumbling out of nowhere. However I dropped by the office last night around 9:30 only to see that the calls about the outage were still pouring in to Newfoundland Power, and resumed doing so overnight and are still going crazy today. I'm not directly involved with the outage, but the amount of people calling and wondering how fast the power is coming back on makes me wonder how prepared people generally are for a storm like this?

How many of us keep stocks of batteries, non-perishable food, coleman stoves, portable generation or first aid items on hand in case something like this happens? I personally do not, but am considering it after this. Customers do not have power, and not due to a lack of effort in restoration, but of some impossible obstacles such as washed out roads meaning crews cannot access the trouble spots. Until these roads are fixed, people will be without power, and they need to be prepared for situations like this, but I get a sneaking suspicion they aren't.

But can I really blame them? Well it'd be the pot calling the kettle black. But in terms of how often we lose our power or how often a natural disaster strikes us, we are very lucky. But that luckiness has led us to be sheltered and perhaps under prepared when the time comes. I know I'm going out to get emergency supplies soon, hopefully the rest of the province does too so we can ensure that the next time a hurricane or winter storm comes through, the casualty count does not rise.

In summary, F*ck you Igor!

Download:
Drowning - Saving Abel

No comments:

Post a Comment