Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Exact Change

On the rare occasion when I go to a store and I have cash, I always try to make a habit of paying with the exact change, but after doing this a couple of times lately I noticed it makes things very awkward.

A typical shopping experience involves placing the object to be scanned, handing something to the cashier, whether it be money or a card, and the cashier handing something back to you, whether it be change or a receipt. Either way there is always an exchange at the end where the cashier gives something to you. When you pay with the exact change, this does not take place and it really leaves an awkward void in the entire process. You're sort of left just standing there and questioning yourself on if you actually did count out the right change, and you can't just give them your money and walk away, because if you didn't get it right then you owe them more. Basically there is no closure to the whole process. You don't have a defined exit point which makes the situation very uneasy. From now on, when paying with cash, no more exact change for me.

Also while talking about money, for some reason I think pennies carry the most germs, but maybe that's just the stigma because they are worth less and therefore seem dirtier.

Download:
America's Suitehearts - Fall Out Boy

3 comments:

  1. Gotta say one of the weaker blogs I wanna hear more details about the akward encounter you had to bring this entry on, I assume you were hitting on a cashier but then refused her dirty pennies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was a quality observation. Already have the script wrote for that episode of the sitcom.

    And yes... pennies gross me out, thats why I throw them at the less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete